Just because you cant make a lantern at Riverlights this year, doesn’t mean you have to miss out!
Here is a fun activity brought to you by @Greater Bank, for you to get involved in over the long weekend.
Make your very own lantern at home by printing our Riverlights Lantern template. Decorate them with as much colour and sparkle as you can!
We would love to see your creations, so be sure to take a photo and upload them so we can see and be sure to tag #riverlightsonline
PREPARE YOUR MATERIALS
- A3 Paper templates (two per lantern).
- One palm plate 25 x 25 cm
- PVA glue.
- Scissors, ruler, pencil.
- Small pieces coloured cellophane and tissue.
- Sticky tape.
BUILD YOUR LANTERN
- Have a palm plate ready (25 x 25 cm).
- Cut out 2 x lantern templates with plan and fold lines on inside. The dotted lines are to be folded and the solid lines are to be cut.
- Cut out window shapes in patterns of your choice
- Use a ruler to fold along tab lines on base, sides and top of both sheets.
- Glue one template then the other to palm plate base, hold in place firmly, then glue 2 side tabs, and hold in place firmly.
- Complete by decorating inside of window shapes with tissue or cellophane. Allow lantern to dry completely, some pressure may be needed on base when drying to achieve max contact.
- Use coloured tissue paper instead of white.
- Cut out designs or shapes in coloured tissue paper to decorate (e.g. masks or animals with a cultural reference such as a Chinese Dragon).
- Add coloured paint to the glue mix and paint the tissue paper.
- Add cellophane to the design in different colours and shapes.
- Include some inspirational patterns or landmarks from cultures and countries around the world.